Saturday 30 July 2016

Go South 03

After the RTBCs, a last night spent in Cairns before an early morning to once again go to Centenary Lakes and attempt to catch a glimpse of the resident Black Bittern, allegedly seen first thing in the morning.

First bird seen was a Black Bittern look-a-like, a juvenile Nankeen Night Heron. Then I spied some Magpie Geese goslings [??? sp ???] and finally, I saw a bird fly up high into a euc which I thought was a Striated Heron but subsequent examination of the images reveals a Black Bittern. Lifer. My search was overlooked by a Torresian Imperial-Pigeon

Pied [Torresian] Imperial-Pigeon
Ducula bicolor



Magpie Geese Anseranus semipalmata
and three goslings
The first likely bittern-bird I spotted was sulky and sneaked away quick sharp. It "hid" behind a large tree and checked me out surreptitiously. Well, that is what it thought it was doing. No match for the bird hunter though. This is a juvenile bird. I initially thought Striated Heron but have decided it is a Nankeen Night Heron.

Peek-a-boo
Nankeen Night Heron, juvenile
Nycticorax caledonicus
" I need a better look"
But not a Black Bittern. Then suddenly, that NNH flushed again and flew up into the top of a eucalyptus. Certainly NNH do that. They are often found roosting way up in trees. So took a load of pictures and later examination has showed it to be a Black Bittern.

Black Bittern Ixobrychus flavicollis


No comments:

Post a Comment